Skip to main content

Inspiration for your characters

How do writers come up with the physical and emotional attributes of their characters?  Do we base our visions on movie stars or just random images that we find/collate from social media sites such as Pinterest?  Or is it a combination of both?

These past months I've been working on Book #2 in my School for Sophistication, featuring Lady Caro Ashford and the Dowager Lady Rutherford as the school's tutors.  Although they're not the main characters, they're the ones that carry the thread through the series.  And they both also featured in the Merry Widow series, a previous series.  I enjoyed these two intrepid ladies so much that I knew I had to incorporate them in the second series somehow, and the idea of the school seemed ideal.  Literally, they had taken on a life of their own, as often characters are want to do -- guiding the writer is so many little ways -- "No, not like that, dear.  I want to be more like this;" etc.  The writer starts out with an idea or two, sometimes vague, sometimes quite solid.  But over time, the character grows and detours begin.

So, let's look at the visuals that helped me create the first of the two ladies.  A little background first, though.  Lady Caroline Ashford has been married and widowed three times by the time The Viscount and the Virgin was written, which was not unusual for a well-endowed woman in the early 19th century.  Caro is quite attractive even in her fortieth decade -- witty and still somewhat lusty, a bit like the Wife of Bath, although much more elegant.

Ms. Hampshire as Molly in Monarch of the Glen

First British actress that helped shape Lady Caro is Susan Hampshire.  Ms. Hampshire has been in British movies and television series for quite some time, but still an attractive woman.  My favorite role is her Molly from Monarch of the Glen.  Molly is an intelligent, handsome woman in middle age, with a light, witty attitude toward life; she also can be a schemer.

from the First Churchills (1969)

I think these images convey a bit of how I envisioned Lady Caro.  But there's also a side to Caro that is frivolous, especially when it comes to the menfolk.  She's always falling in love or at least smitten by a handsome, experienced man.  And that's how her vulnerable side developed.  She fears growing old alone.  So, like a bee in a garden, she tends to flit from man to man, although she's also coming to realize that her husbands tend to die on her, so in the first romance of this new series, she's determined not to marry again. 
Brenda Blethyn in Pride & Prejudice (2005)
And so another British actress who inspired a bit of this side of Lady Caro is Brenda Blethyn.  I love Blethyn's talents as an actress -- from Vera, a toughened detective, to the silly but loving Mrs. Bennett of Pride & Prejudice (2005), Blethyn helped shape this aspect of Lady Caro.

Next week I'll post about the Dowager Lady Rutherford, Lady Caro's friend and business partner in The School for Sophistication series.  The dowager is a tough nut and often is a foil to the flirty Lady Caro, but she grows on you.  And in the second novel, Wicked Wagers, she'll play a vital role.  Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh, dear! My bad . . .

 Just getting back on track with social media and such -- summertime is such a suck-you-away-from-the-computer time, isn't it?   What's been happening? Been working on At Long Last , the fourth and final romance in my School for Sophistication series, and it should be released in late July / early August.    If you're on my newsletter email list, I just sent out a sneak peek of the cover.  Not signed up yet?  No sweat.  Here's the link .  Also, a freebie sale is going on as I type this entry.  Another incentive to sign up!   A Peek into Straight from the Heart I promised this in my last blog entry, so here we go . . .  Ryan Cassidy, deputy sheriff, a muscular hunk of a guy, who's low-key, funny, sexy and falling for Giana Linstrom despite his fears of marriage.  He's seen too many marriages go bad, including his own mother's.  And now for Giana -- bubbly, enthusiastic, a dreamer whose dreams never seem to come to fruition.  She's at a crossroads in her

Top 25 Reads for 2018

2018 was a busy year for reading -- lots of great books, so little time, right? Although I must admit that this year I was immersed in Susan Mallery's Fools Gold series, as well as Jill Shalvis' Lucky Harbor and Heartbreaker Bay series --  and I do mean totally immersed.  These two writers can world build like no other!  But for the sake of the Top 25, I am putting Mallery and Shalvis in their own kingdom and let you decide. Also, please note that I am not driven by the NYT Bestseller List or any other "lists" -- I tend to like to find my writers in a more organic way, mainly by browsing in real brick-and-mortar bookstores and libraries, so some are "newish" and some are older.  If I'm starting a new series, I like to start at the beginning, which means I'm reading past bestsellers. So, here's my top 25 titles that I heartily recommend to readers (broken down by genre / subgenre): Regency Romance: Sherry Thomas, His at Night Tessa D

Take a hint from Mr. Bradbury:

Don’t start out writing novels. They take too long. Begin your writing life instead by cranking out “a hell of a lot of short stories,” as many as one per week. Take a year to do it; he claims that it simply isn’t possible to write 52 bad short stories in a row. He waited until the age of 30 to write his first novel, Fahrenheit 451 .   Stuff your head. To accumulate the intellectual building blocks of these metaphors, he suggests a course of bedtime reading: one short story, one poem and one essay. These essays should come from a diversity of fields, including archaeology, zoology, biology, philosophy, politics, and literature. “At the end of a thousand nights,” so he sums it up, “you’ll be full of stuff!” I'm going to try some of these tips -- write swift, write short; diverse reading to expand the old gray cells.  Works for me!   Ray Bradbury, recipient of the 2000 National Book Foundation Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters, the 2004 Nati